Posted: | Updated:
Four Hingham High School Coaches Honored

Thursday, January 19, 2023 – The Hingham Public Schools congratulate four HHS coaches who were recently honored for statewide accomplishments.

The first coach to be recognized is Coach Bob Kniffen, HHS boys basketball coach, who recently reached 200 wins with the team. Coach Kniffen has been the varsity boys basketball coach for the past 16 years and has won numerous awards in that time. 

Second is Coach Paul Canniff, HHS Wrestling Coach, who was recently recognized as the 2022 MIAA Coach of the Year in wrestling. The MIAA (Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association) is a statewide high school athletic organization that awards a single coach in each varsity sports category. Coach Canniff has built one of the strongest programs at HHS having led the varsity wrestling program to 10 Patriot League Championships. Coach Canniff has been with the HHS Wrestling team for the past 22 seasons and has taught math at the high school throughout that time.

The third coach to be honored is HHS varsity girls soccer head coach, Coach Mary-Frances Monroe. Coach Monroe has been recognized as the Boston Globe Coach of the Year for Div. 1 Girls Soccer. Coach Monroe led the team to their first ever state championship last season. Coach Monroe has an extensive playing and coaching career which helped make her debut season with HHS a smooth transition. 

The fourth is Dawn Diedrickson, girls cross country and track coach, who won the MIAA’s 2022 Coach of the Year award for girls track and field. As cited from a staff writer of our student newspaper the Harborlight, “She coached the girls’ cross country and track teams from 2013-2022 before stepping away earlier this year, in order to spend more time with her family. Coach Bob Ritz has sense stepped into her role. During her time as the head coach, the women’s team were state relay champions seven times and won the Patriot League twelve times, in addition to a 2013 state championship. Undoubtedly, Mrs. Diedricksen’s passion and skill as a coach promoted a winning culture on the team. She shared, “I love helping athletes reach their goals and helping a team win a championship.” She has inspired and helped her student-athletes achieve their dreams of competing at a higher level, showing how much she deserves this award.”

Congratulations to our coaches and thank you for your continued commitment to our student-athletes.

Photo Credit for Coach Kniffen and Coach Monroe: Josh Ross. Photo Credit for Coach Canniff: Jaime Connolly